Monday, November 10, 2014

Learning foreign language (TOEFL)


I disagree with the opinion that children should start learning a foreign language very early. Mainly I have three reasons for my opinion.

 
First, I suggest that children should learn their own country’s language culture, language more than foreign language. Though it may be good thing to speak English so frequently, it does not make sense not to their own country’s culture at all because foreign language is only the tool for communication. As you know most children has little knowledge about their own country’s culture, language and so on. In short, teacher and parents should give their children an opportunities to learn their own country’s thing.

 
Second, I would like to say that learning foreign language from junior high school is not too late. As for me, I started learning English when I was junior high school and this was first time to study a lot of words, grammars, sound and so on. Some students learned English since they were in elementary school, however I could get more score than theirs, and could get qualification to go to British and America department in Nanzan University, so it is not important when to start leaning foreign language. Thus, it is enough to learn foreign language from junior high school.

 
Third, learning foreign language can be harmful for children sometimes. For example, my brother who is in junior high school started learning English in first of elementary school. However he came to feel how English is difficult, and he was sick of learning English eventually. Nowadays the score of English tests are always bad. If he learned English more later, this problem would not occur. Thus, learning foreign language very early is not always give good effects for children.

 In conclusion, I don’t support the opinion that children should start learning a foreign language very early. (306words)

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Kaori! I enjoyed reading your blog. Your opinion and my opinion are different, so I was interested in your essay very much. You said children should learn their mother tongue at first. I think you are right because recently, there are some problems about ability of Japanese among teenagers in Japan, so they may have to study Japanese harder than other languages. As for me, I have a lot of things I do not know about Japanese. I am often said I do not Japanese vocabulary too much by my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kaori. I enjoyed reading your article.
    I’m surprised at your idea, because most of us agree with this theme and I didn’t doubt that children should start learning a foreign language very early. However, your opinions are really clear and now I’m persuaded by your idea.
    I’m surprised the most at the third paragraph. The example of your brother is so effective to explain your idea. I want to discuss thin theme with you if I have a chance. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are you? I am so sleepy now. I enjoy reading your blog. I also disagree with learning foreign language in childhood. However, last week I read a blog Yuri Takeuchi. Then I can’t have confidence in my opinion. I recommend you read it. By the way, I heard your mother stared bakery, didn’t it? I want to eat your mother brad if I have a chance to visit. See you. (71words)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Kaori! I enjoyed reading your blog. I have the opposite idea to you, so I am interested in your idea very much. You think children should learn their own country’s culture. I’m sure that your idea is right. Young people including me don’t know about Japanese culture very much. Sometimes, foreign people have more knowledge about Japan than we do. Therefore, I think your idea is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Kaori. I enjoyed reading your blog! In fact, I agreed with this topic, but after reading your blog, I think that it is important to learn not only English but also Japanese calture! As you said, I have little knowledge of Japanese culture, so if I’m asked about it by foreign people, I cannot answer it. Actually, sometimes, I feel that I have to learn it. In addition, I agree with your opinion that children may be sick of English! Although my sister has learned English since she was young, she doesn’t like English and feel difficult, so it is not important when to start to learn English.

    ReplyDelete